Friday, November 17, 2006

SMALL EGGS


A couple of years ago, just before Easter, I discovered small chicken eggs. I had gone to a shop that sells Amish poultry and eggs, and they were selling them by the dozen. I bought a couple dozen just to play around with, and really liked them.

I found that they were great for making traditional pysanky, like this one

and this one

from Volyn'. Traditional patterns are often fairly simple, and look too sparse on large or extra large chicken eggs.

I also discovered that, except for Easter, the shop didn't carry small eggs. I had to special order them by the case, with 15 dozen eggs to the case. So I had to find more uses for the small eggs.

I found that children like working with them, simply because they are smaller, and easier to decorate. I found that they make really cute Halloween jack-o-lanterns


and penguins.

Rockhopper penguin

And I found that they make lovely Christmas ornaments, when decorated with snowflakes and dyed in jewel or sky blue tones.


This week, as I was beginning to make my snowflake pysanky, I discovered that my Amish poultry place no longer sells small eggs. What to do? Settle for mediums from Kroger? No. Through the wonder of the internet, I was able to find another place locally that sells small eggs.

So I get to make my snowflake eggs after all.............

No comments: